Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Black River Adventure



July, 17, 2007

Pencil on paper

5.25"x7"

The name of this river is not Black River, it was just dark from the evening sun and I had quite an adventure searching for this view. I wandered out behind Goddard in search of the river and found it at the bottom of a 30' cliff of eroded sand. I scrambled down the side of the cliff to the waters edge and started to wade back towards the college. After awhile the rocks gave way to a hard sandy surface and before I knew it my right foot sunk in up to my knee in what was almost like quicksand. My only choice was to move forward and out as my feet kept sinking in deep and I almost lost my sandle twice. Eventually I found a rock but the river was so stirred up I could not see the bottom and turned back. There was a moment when my heart raced and I thought what if I am stuck up to my knees in mud. At least I had my cell phone. I went deeper into the river and worked my way back but stopped to make this sketch before I headed back to campus. One of the most adventursome dinner breaks I have ever had!

1 Comments:

At 8:57 PM , Blogger Sam Adams said...

Go Philipandia Jones! Wish I could go for a quick sink during my dinner break.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home