Monday, October 10, 2005

Self Portrait Set




October 9, 2005
Copperplate
Etching Proofs
Set of Three
3.75"x1.75"

These three little prints represent the first intaglio etchings that I have attempted since the 1980's.

Soft ground was used as a resist on the copper and Ferric Chloride was used to bite the plate.

I pulled five prints from this plate, but with prints four and five I had some problems with my press and they were ruined. The middle print was over-worked and is light when compared to the other two.

It is interesting to note that when I was writing the text on the plate I was unhappy and removed the wax. After I re-ground the lower section of the plate I scratched the words again and bit the entire plate with acid. The original scratches left a drypoint burr on the plate that can be seen clearly on the top left. But the velvety marks left by the original text faded quickly as I continued to run the plate through the press.

3 Comments:

At 5:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

I really enjoy reading about yur technique. I appreciate the self portraits so much. Great site too!

Maddy:)

 
At 2:52 AM , Blogger Pete Hocking said...

I like the text. I understand your feelings about it,but I think it adds a new dimension to your work. I'd encourage you to experiment more with text.

 
At 9:39 AM , Blogger workspace said...

Thanks to both of you for great comments. Writing backwards is a challenge and I need to look at William Blake as he was a master at using text on his etching plates.

Thanks again, P

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home