Monday, March 05, 2007

Sheet Music



March 3, 2007

9"x5.5"

Iron Relief Print

I arrived early to set up the classroom at SPA in Barre last Saturday and had a surprise waiting for me. On the counter were four old iron printing plates with old sheet music on them. The director of the gallery left a note and asked if I could print these for a gallery Board Member who came across them. I know little else about the plates except that they are old and seem to be from a book of hymns.

They were difficult to print at first and I am lucky I did not tear the felt blankets. Even though I lowered the press pressure the relief was still high and almost tore through the paper as well. After a few pulls off the plates I figured out how to print them and this is the best example that I managed to print. There were a challenge but in the end were a great deal of fun to print.

2 Comments:

At 1:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool print, Phil. The sheet music came out very nicely. It sure sounded tricky using the iron plates instead of what you were used to.

-John L.

 
At 5:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, this was a a lot of fun to print and I got to keep a proof copy of one of the four plates. P

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home