Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Meditation Scroll, No. 3


April 2008
Hanging scroll with four chiaroscuro blockprints
41"x19"

This is the one. After some trial and error I have created a satisfying hanging scroll. I semi-quilted a backing sheet of rice paper to the frontispiece to strengthen the object and hung it on two 3/4" clear plexi-rods. To finish the piece I braided three pieces of hemp string for the cord the scroll hangs from. After hours of repetitive work I felt like I was in a zen state of meditation or prayer and feel that the meditation of this work is what the piece is about as much as anything. Thus the birth of the name for this series of hanging scrolls and there will be more as I bought a small supply of Plexiglas rods and have enough for three more projects.

1 Comments:

At 7:11 PM , Blogger Sam Adams said...

I really like this one a lot, Phil! As you say, it exudes zen.
--Sam

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home