Friday, March 16, 2007

Book Cover



March 16, 2007

7.5"x10"

Balsa wood and Rice Paper

This is a prototype for an art book cover that I am in the process of making. There will be six of my chiaroscuro prints paired with one of my poems. I wanted to come up with an idea for a book cover that was really special. So I used some kite building technology and designed this simple construction. I have some tiny brass hinges on order that should arrive in a couple of days. The hinges will attach the bar on the left to the larger set of three screens.

The one problem I encountered was stretching the rice paper over the balsa wood frame as I had about a sixteenth of an inch to work with. Next time I will give myself plenty of extra paper and trim the edges with a knife. Hopefully I will be able to get the paper stretched tightly with less sag.

2 Comments:

At 5:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is an interesting book cover design, Phil. Does the rice paper hold up when stretched across the balsa wood frame? I would think it might be easily punctured or damaged. Maybe it would be better to stretch the rice paper over a solid piece of balsa wood for more strenght and sturdiness?

-John L.

 
At 5:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the suggestion but it would not hang the same over a solid piece and I have thought of it. I am still in the experimental stage and one of the concepts I am struggling with is that I want it to be fragile and delicate. Paper is pretty tough but yes, it could puncture easily. P

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home