Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Clay Hill



August 7, 2007

Blockprint with Watercolor

4"x6"

This is an old block that I printed an edition of 100 for a greeting card a few years back. A fellow employee had a Birthday and I volunteered to get a card and decided to hand-watercolor one of these instead of spending money. What is interesting is it made me think about 6 or 7 blocks in this style that are draw onto some cherry blocks ready to carve. In many ways I abandoned them but it made me think about working on them in a different way than I had. In the past I would carve a complicated color reduction block to go with a key block like this one. Perhaps after my thesis is done I will head in a slightly different direction. Carving these block and print larger editions on the press at SPA and then hand-watercolor them like William Blake did with his etchings. The work load will be about the same in the end but the resulting projects might be just change I need as I head into 2008.

1 Comments:

At 6:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The use of watercolor with a bright color pallette choice really makes this one stand out. I think it adds a bit of variety to your portfolio. I know you have been hesistant of water color application on prints, but I think it really works well.

-John

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home