Thursday, October 20, 2005

Self Portrait Set II




October 19, 2005

Copperplate Etching
3.75"x1.75"

This is the second state for this self portrait and I am pleased with the way this plate etched and is printing.

In the first state I had placed some text in the space at the bottom and did not like the way it looked. It was kinda shoddy as it is difficult to do. You have to write backwards to make it come out correct and in the end it just looked crappy.

So I decided to etch a little cross-hatching texture on the bottom and experiment with time in the acid bath. I scratched three rectangles into the bottom of the plate one at a time and bathed them in the etchant solution for about five minutes each. The smallest rectangle was in the solution the the longest and can be clearly seen on the left. In the end I will probably trim the bottom of the plate off and run some final proofs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home