Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Moonlight Dream


November 11-12, 2005
Chiaroscuro Print
Found wood and easy-cut plates
5.25"x3.5"

The image for this little print is taken from my memory, imagination, and walks along the old St. Johnsbury Railroad line in East Hardwick, Vermont.

The block of wood was rough and I used the woodgrain for many of the details and the clouds run directly along the woodgrain. This style of print is something I had not really done before and I think this may be the style and technique I have been looking for. One of the final products that I wish to create during my MFAIA studies at Goddard College is a small edition of art books. This technique may be perfect for the images and as a way to print and reproduce short poems to accompany the images.

I printed four proofs before running a solid edition of ten prints. Originally I wanted to use linoleum for the color plate but my local store was out of stock. I was a little upset that I had to settle for a block of Speedball Easy-Cut, but in the end it worked really well. It cut like butter with an x-acto knife and held up much better during the hand-printing process than I had thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home